Monday, August 28, 2006

Reference Desk

So, what exactly are you supposed to do with the woman who wants you to put her floppy disk into your reference computer and make some changes on her resume for her?

I first explained that I could set her up on a computer and get her file open, but that I wouldn't have time to sit with her. That was ok, she didn't want me to sit with her.

She wanted me to do it for her.

There were at least four people behind her (this was after I went back and forth trying to find the mailing address for Lego [hint: limit search to CT] for about five minutes and let the line build up). She said that I could see if all they wanted was to work on a computer and then I could help her.

In some ways I feel bad because we don't have tech people, we don't have a tech room, we don't have a good way to help this lady out if I don't help her.

However, I am the only person on the desk, and I don't necessarily have the time and freedom to help someone like this. If the phone rings, if someone has a computer question, if someone else has a reference question, I need to help them. And in my mind, those needs take priority over someone who obviously doesn't want to learn to use the computer herself.

I did help her, because I think it's my duty, but also because it was easier than arguing with her over it.

Tags:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I provide tech support at a public library, and I frequently get requests like this. I've had several patrons who would have been very happy to have me write not only their resumes, but also their cover letters.

Our informal policy is that I can spend about ten minutes on tasks like this. If it takes longer than that, then it's taking time away from other patrons and staff who need me. People who are not comfortable using a computer or MS Word need to bring someone to the library with them to do their editing. The staff isn't there to provide free secretarial support.